Musings of a deep generalist
- Welcome to the (New) Era of American LawlessnessThe six conservative Justices do not have the sound judgment or the common sense to see that ruling against the will of the supermajority on so many aspects of American life will inevitably result in serious erosion of the Rule of Law.
- The Lies that Will Not DieAfter twenty-five years of working intimately with wealthy families, private business owners, and public company executives, here’s what I know about the Lies the Will Not Die…
- So Long, TribeThis tidy simplification leaves unresolved the question of why Sockalexis’ “Indian” heritage was evoked as a nickname for the Cleveland Spiders—was it out of disdain for him, or in celebration of his remarkable skill as an outfielder and as a hitter, or a confounding mixture of attitudes and beliefs that were characteristic of the time?
- T.J. the Anti-OriginalistThomas Jefferson was a radical, extremist anti-originalist, who intended a living, breathing, evolving constitution.
- Thoughts on the Twentieth Anniversary of 9/11The challenge we face as a nation is fundamentally emotional. There will be no thinking our way out of this. We can try to engage in rational debate. We can pretend that articulating our “reasons” will persuade others to support our positions. But a good-faith exchange of views is not possible when “people like YOU are destroying MY America!” Compromise and working through areas of disagreement are obviously out of the question.
- 100 Years of MLB RadioAugust 5, 2021—Today marks the 100th anniversary of the first live broadcast of a major league baseball game over commercial radio.
- Fixing Big Tech’s Complicity in Misinformation and CrimeThe urgent crisis of misinformation demands a comprehensive, all-of-society response. The ideas examined here could lead to significant improvements. But many more perspectives and resources, along with as much national soul-searching and determination as we can muster are needed now. Our deep divisions are being hard wired into our brains. And we know that the road we are on now ends at “checkmate humanity.”
- It’s the Algorithms, Stupid! – Understanding the Section 230 DebateOur country is being torn apart by the polarizing effects of tech-enabled echo chambers… Strategic curation of the content presented to users is the very definition of what it means to be a speaker or a publisher… Both amplifying and constraining the reach of any user-generated content should be illegal.
- Compassion for Black RageFor black Americans, state-sanctioned mass brutalization and mass slaughter are four-hundred-year-old atrocities that persist and pervade. Insidious, irrational white fear perpetuates these atrocities and precludes any meaningful redemption, healing–or even superficial reform–from taking place.